turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

digrace

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

Hi, I have the same question. Did you ever find out if the Schedule C has to be mailed in? If so that would really be inconvenient and doesn't make sense.  thanks.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

Yes, you do need to mail in the California forms.

Unfortunately, both California Schedule C and Form 8829 are not supported this year for electronic filing. 

Be aware some of the forms are not available to be filed yet.

I have attached a link with the scheduled release date of the state forms for your reference.

CA forms scheduled release date

[Edited 01/28/20|5:08pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@JotikaT2 @On that list it still says “schedule C unsupported to e-file” so that means we still have to mail it in after 2/6/20 correct?

@digrace , I think someone finally put a clear answer on the feed, so it sounds like it needs to be printed and sent in this year:

The federal Form 8829 should be available for print AND eFile. 

However, the California 8829 was not ready in time for the eFile system to be properly configured, and you will need to mail your state return this year to claim expenses for the business use of your home.  Also, the form is not yet ready to print.

My first time mailing in Ca. Can someone hat has experience mailing in their state give me a good estimate on when to expect a DD

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

That is correct.

Unsupported E-file forms - printed and mailed in 

Is this only with TurboTax?  I kept reading that there wasn't enough time to embed the form through the turbotax software to efile CA schedule C profit/loss 8829 form, so other online tax services allow it?  or is it entire state of CA doesn't offer online efiling option this year for those forms?

I had the same question and decided to just go through the process with H&R Block the same as I did for TurboTax. I never ran into this issue with the form making me unable to e-file.

If this is true this will be the last year I use turbo tax. I’ve been hearing about calfile aswell just haven’t had the chance to make a account and check it out 

Hey everyone just here to update that I just e-filed my state after having the cannot e-file message for a couple of weeks. Had schedule C and the other form everyone had. Good luck everyone.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Sorry for all of the confusion on this issue, folks!

California Schedule C is not supported for e-File this year - because there is no separate California Schedule C this year.  Sole proprietor income is reported directly on Form 540.  

TurboTax is now filing returns to California for sole proprietors electronically without any issues.  

We have experienced an unprecedented number of last-minute tax changes this year and we are working as fast as we can to incorporate all of these changes.

@SusanY1 @jmabides @digrace @UseHRBlock @BryanAr Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I just tried to efile my ca state and it went through (including my schedule C which would not work before) also just received a message my taxes were accepted by the state. I didn’t receive a notice or anything that they were ready to file, I just tried it, and it also said before I pushed “e-file” that some forms were not ready yet, but it let me proceed and e-file. Not sure what’s going on but it seems to be working now!?!

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes, sorry for all of the confusion.  We are just learning that with today's update (January 30, 2020) it is working. 

The source of the confusion is that California Schedule C not on the list of e-file forms at the California Franchise Tax Board, and the form listed as not supported for e-file on the list of forms provided by our developers. 

However, it is also not a form that must be submitted.  California accepts the 2019 federal Schedule C along with California Form 540. 

My apologies for all of the confusion.  This tax year has brought more changes than usual - many of them very late - and we are working as fast as we can to get them all to you.

Filers with self-employment income in California are now able to submit returns electronically without any issues.  

@Sammiek @jmabides @digrace @UseHRBlock @BryanAr 

@SusanY1 @Yea I couldn’t understand why you were sending in my deductions when I had none. Most of us don’t claim deductions because you have to mail it in. Turbo tax needs to step its game up. I shouldn’t know more information than a turbo tax expert. This company makes enough money that it should be able to be the top and most accurate program to use. Not to mention it’s pricey. Very disappointed you guys were spreading false information and on top of that delayed me being able to submit. Will be reviewing other programs for next years tax season. It was a nice 10 years turbo tax you were my first 

I am not sure why Turbo is posting Form 8829 or Schedule C State of CA can not be efiled this year. Not true, I just finished my taxes and efiled my State of CA using Free Tax USA. I think Turbo did not have the forms ready this year, not that it was in general for all tax software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies