turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I Change Kansas State Tax Return to Nonresident Form ?

I am a resident of Kansas but my wife lived in a foreign country for the entire tax year. 

In the General Info/Residency Status section of the state return TurboTax said that it knew that my wife was not a resident of Kansas from information on our federal return. It said that since my wife was not a resident of Kansas and we filed our federal return jointly we are required to file our Kansas return jointly as nonresidents. 

On the next page it had me choose our state of legal residence. I chose "Foreign Country". I continued through the rest of the screens in this section asking if I filed a 2017 Kansas return (I answered yes) and if our name or address had changed since filing our 2017 Kansas return (I answered no).

On the "Status of your State Returns" page it says that the "Type of Return" is resident. Shouldn't this say nonresident ?

I even selected "Foreign or U.S. Possession" under "Other State Income" in the My Info section in the panel on the left. 

Is there something wrong with the software or is there a way to get the "Type of Return" to say nonresident for the Kansas state return ?

1 Reply

Can I Change Kansas State Tax Return to Nonresident Form ?

So I went forward with the taxes anyway. After I paid for TurboTax and was able to look at the forms I saw that it did mark "nonresident" on the state form. 

I'm not sure if it is an error in the software or why it displayed resident as the return type on the "Status of Your State Returns" page but it did file them correctly as nonresidents.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies