Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California Tax returns + Federal tax return - any particualr order when mailing the tax returns?

I am about to mail my 2021 California Tax Returns and the cover sheet from Turbo Tax says to attach my Federal Tax returns. Do the Federal tax returns go at the back or get placed on top of my California tax returns? Is there any particular order to placing which first?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

California Tax returns + Federal tax return - any particualr order when mailing the tax returns?

Put a copy of the federal at the END of the California return.  CA 540 instructions, scroll down to assembling  your tax return

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-540-booklet.html#Instructions-for-Form-540 

Assemble your tax return in the order shown below.

Assemble your tax return in the following order: If required, enclose payment, but do not staple. Attach all forms W-2, W-2G, 1099, 592-B, and 593 to the lower front page of your form 540. Form 540 has six sides. Put the pages in numerical order and send all six sides to the FTB. After side six of form 540, put any supporting California forms or schedules you completed (for example Schedule CA, Schedule D, form 3514).

Behind the supporting forms or schedules, put a copy of your federal tax return and other state tax return if required.

Caution: Form 540 has six sides. When filing Form 540, you must send all six sides to the FTB.

View solution in original post

And I made a screen print of it......

CA 2021 Assemble.jpg

View solution in original post

8 Replies

The federal tax return, Form 1040 pages 1 and 2, is the last form to be attached to the California state income tax return forms and schedules.

Put a copy of the federal at the END of the California return.  CA 540 instructions, scroll down to assembling  your tax return

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-540-booklet.html#Instructions-for-Form-540 

Assemble your tax return in the order shown below.

Assemble your tax return in the following order: If required, enclose payment, but do not staple. Attach all forms W-2, W-2G, 1099, 592-B, and 593 to the lower front page of your form 540. Form 540 has six sides. Put the pages in numerical order and send all six sides to the FTB. After side six of form 540, put any supporting California forms or schedules you completed (for example Schedule CA, Schedule D, form 3514).

Behind the supporting forms or schedules, put a copy of your federal tax return and other state tax return if required.

Caution: Form 540 has six sides. When filing Form 540, you must send all six sides to the FTB.

Here's a better link that has a picture.   2021 CA 540 Instructions, see page 22
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-540-booklet.pdf

And I made a screen print of it......

CA 2021 Assemble.jpg

Thank you. This is very helpful. Does each side of the Form 540 have to be printed on a separate sheet? That is the impression I get from the image below so would appreciate your clarification. Would there be 6 pages for the 6 sides or can it be printed on both sides of each page? Thank you again!

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 12-54-45 2023 Personal Income Tax Booklet California Forms & Instructions 540 FTB.ca.gov.png

I meant 5 sides - not 6 sides.

To clarify further, do I need to print one sided only?

I don't know.  It doesn't seem to say.  I guess to be careful I would print each page on a separate sheet, not double sided.  

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. Appreciate it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies