Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tjldia

CA nonresident has to pay house sale capital gains when house was in Nevada, not CA?

Hi,

I feel like TurboTax carried over a house sale capital gain from Federal to CA state return erroneously. I am a CA non-resident (resident in NV, but worked in CA). The house sold was in Nevada as well. I have no connection to CA, except my federal job is located in CA. I know have to pay income tax in CA, but gains on capital outside of CA? Doesn't sound right.

Thanks,

tjldia

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

CA nonresident has to pay house sale capital gains when house was in Nevada, not CA?

CALIFORNIA uses your entire income to determine your state taxes, but you only pay taxes on the percentage of California income included on the total.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

CALIFORNIA uses your entire income to determine your state taxes, but you only pay taxes on the percentage of California income included on the total.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tjldia

@MaryK4  Thank you for answering so quickly. I figured that out about 10 minutes after I posted the question. Not fun, but you are correct. Thanks again 🙂 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies