Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA non-resident working part time in CA, do I need to calculate the allocation ratios for CA RSU tax manually in Turbo Tax?

I'm a former CA resident who worked for a CA-based company part year, and have been living in another state for several years.  Most of the time I worked remotely, but I did work in CA for about a month out of the year.  The company paid me W2-based income and also RSUs, some of which vested after I moved to the new state (which has no state taxes).

I understand that I need to pay CA taxes on the RSUs based on the allocation ratio of the number of days I worked in CA vs. number of total workdays since I was granted to RSUs, but I'm not clear on whether I need to calculate these ratios manually and enter them in Turbotax myself somewhere, or if Turbotax will do it for me.

'

I've entered all RSU sale info in my including grant, sale, and vesting dates in the Federal section,  and the number of days I worked in California, and completed my CA non-resident taxes in TT.   I was hoping the program would do the allocation calcualations for me automatically,  but I reviewed all CA worksheets and can't find any difference in the RSU treatment on the CA Schedule D versus the Federal Schedule D worksheets.   All the Federal values are the same as the CA values.  Do I need to calculate the allocation ratios myself and apply them to the sales prices for the RSUs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies