turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akb30tax

I was a full year resident of KS, but my husband was a part year resident in KS and MO. How do we mark that is turbotax? It marks us both as part year residents in MO.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
gb115407

I was a full year resident of KS, but my husband was a part year resident in KS and MO. How do we mark that is turbotax? It marks us both as part year residents in MO.

Make sure you prepare the non-fulltime-resident state return first, THEN the resident state return

TomD8
Level 15

Be sure you answered the questions in My Info correctly for each of you.  TT uses those answers to determine your correct residency.
Are you sure your husband was a part-year resident?  For example: if his domicile (his main, primary home) was in one of those states all year, and he was in other state only temporarily for school or work, he would be considered a full-time resident of his domiciliary state and a non-resident of the other state.
A part-time resident is someone who literally moved his domicile from one state to another during the tax year.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies