turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My W-2 section 15 says VA while I worked in MD. I moved to MD in October, but I think only VA taxed me? Should I only file a VA tax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My W-2 section 15 says VA while I worked in MD. I moved to MD in October, but I think only VA taxed me? Should I only file a VA tax form?

As a part year resident in both states you should file as a part year resident in each state if income was earned while living in each state.  Because all tax was withheld and paid to Virginia, then you may owe some tax to Maryland.

In the Personal Info Tab, answer the questions about income from another state and the make sure you have the correct residency status for both state returns in the State Taxes tab.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

As a part year resident in both states you should file as a part year resident in each state if income was earned while living in each state.  Because all tax was withheld and paid to Virginia, then you may owe some tax to Maryland.

In the Personal Info Tab, answer the questions about income from another state and the make sure you have the correct residency status for both state returns in the State Taxes tab.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies