Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kimnor

Alternative Minimum tax

I had the same issue.  But since I couldn't uncheck the box and going back didn't help, I tried going forward.  Here are my responses.

• Are line 2h, lines 2k through 2t, and line 3 of your 2019 federal Form 6251 blank? I responded with Yes 
  • 2019 Federal Adjusted Gross Income (from 2019 Federal Form 1040, line 8a) On the 2019 form 1040 the AGI was on line 8b so I entered that amount
  • Prior Year Credit Carryover I responded with zero

The system responded "Based on your entries, you don't have a Minnesota Alternative Minimum Tax Credit for 2020"

A couple of extra notes.  First, I made sure that my MN Refund number at the top of the screen didn't change during this.  If it had changed, then I would be concerned.  Second, when I print and file my MN return, I plan to remove the Form M1MTC (if it prints) before I put it in the mail.

Hope that helps.

jrice56
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

I was on the phone with a Turbo Tax expert last week.  He was very understanding.  After 90 minutes he suggested doing what kimnor states in the message from 1-30-2021.  I saw the same error with the Federal AGI on line 8b instead of 8a.  It worked but it's frustrating.  I strongly suggested to the tech person at Turbo Tax to get a corrective update but if that isn't possible in the immediate future to at least post an update on this site.

I'm going to wait a couple weeks before filing my fed return.

Alternative Minimum tax

I waited six days, and tried again.  Turbo Tax automatically loaded any new updates, but the AMT problem with MN is STILL PERSISTING.  again, unable to unclick the box saying I paid AMT (i did not)

PLEASE FIX THIS. It is beyond frustrating and is CLEARLY happening to many other MN residents.

jcavegn47

Alternative Minimum tax

I am having the same issue with the tax files I'm trying to file. I did the same thing but I am not comfortable with this solution. This is a glitch in the Turbo Tax for this year. It needs to be updated to not pre check the box.

jrice56
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

Great News!  The 2-1-2021 update corrected the alternative minimum tax glitch.

MNTaxes2020
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

I checked for updates in Turbo Tax on 2/13/2021 and downloaded the 2/10/2021 update. That update fixed my issues. After downloading the update I opened Turbo Tax and walked through the Minnesota tax return from the beginning. I no longer saw the screen that automatically checked the AMT option. Instead, I was asked if I ever claimed MN AMT in the past. I chose 'No' and was able to complete my tax return.

MNTaxes2020
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

@jrice56 : An update on 2/10/2021 resolved the issue for me. I use the version that was installed via download code (not the online version). I checked for updates in Turbo Tax and downloaded the update. I assume it is fixed for Turbo Tax online as well.

Alternative Minimum tax

I need help with the Alternative Minimum Tax input. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Alternative Minimum tax

@johnlacey217_2

Can you clarify what you want to do? AMT is used in many places for many things. How can we help you?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies