Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I LIVE IN TWO STATES SO WHICH DO I USE AS THE RESIDENCE STATE? BASICALLY A SNOW BIRD SITUATION.

How do you file when you are a snow bird? live in two states which one do I put as my resident state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I LIVE IN TWO STATES SO WHICH DO I USE AS THE RESIDENCE STATE? BASICALLY A SNOW BIRD SITUATION.

Generally, it will be the state you spend more time in, at least for tax purposes.

There is a concept called "domicile".  Your domicile is where you are considered to live permanently, and you only have one domicile.  Factors that can be used to determine where your domicile is include: sources of income, significant professional relationships (your doctor, attorney), and significant social relationships (friends, church, clubs, etc.)

Where you will run into tax problems is when your domicile conflicts with state law.  For example, you might argue that your domicile is in Florida, based on the factors mentioned. But if you live in New York more than 183 days of the year, New York will consider you a resident and require a resident tax return.  Every state has different laws on residency for tax purposes, and you don't mention the states you are talking about.

You will need to visit the tax web sites of the states involved and review their rules on being a resident or non-resident.  The easiest thing to do is to then arrange your dates so that your domicile matches state law (such as, if you really want to be considered a Florida resident, stay in New York less than 183 days.)

You may want to consult a professional tax advisor.  Convincing a state that you are domiciled elsewhere and don't owe them tax, even though you spend a significant amount of time in-state, can be tricky and result in audits and other problems.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Which state do you have a driver's license in?  Which state do you vote in?  Which state do you register your cars in?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901036-what-is-my-state-residency-status">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Generally, it will be the state you spend more time in, at least for tax purposes.

There is a concept called "domicile".  Your domicile is where you are considered to live permanently, and you only have one domicile.  Factors that can be used to determine where your domicile is include: sources of income, significant professional relationships (your doctor, attorney), and significant social relationships (friends, church, clubs, etc.)

Where you will run into tax problems is when your domicile conflicts with state law.  For example, you might argue that your domicile is in Florida, based on the factors mentioned. But if you live in New York more than 183 days of the year, New York will consider you a resident and require a resident tax return.  Every state has different laws on residency for tax purposes, and you don't mention the states you are talking about.

You will need to visit the tax web sites of the states involved and review their rules on being a resident or non-resident.  The easiest thing to do is to then arrange your dates so that your domicile matches state law (such as, if you really want to be considered a Florida resident, stay in New York less than 183 days.)

You may want to consult a professional tax advisor.  Convincing a state that you are domiciled elsewhere and don't owe them tax, even though you spend a significant amount of time in-state, can be tricky and result in audits and other problems.

Hal_Al
Level 15

The state you work in is your resident state. If you are now retired, it is the state you used to work in, assuming that is one of the two states you currently reside in.

If you want to change it, you must take deliberate steps to do so: voting registration, car & drivers licences. Even then you can run up against aggressive tax collection states like NY, who will apply their own rules.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies