Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

1099R Sent to wrong state

One of my retirement payers had an obsolete address, and filed my 1099R to the wrong state.  I asked them to correct it, and they simply resent the form with my updated mailing address, didn't check the "Corrected" box, and left the obsolete state payer ID in Box 13.  They have in the past been difficult to deal with, this respsonse is typical.  I'm trying to get them to correct it, but is there any way I myself can correct the error, and inform the two states of the actual situation?  I'm guessing that the losing state is expecting a tax return and a check; the state where I now reside doesn't tax my retirement income.

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

1099R Sent to wrong state

No, unfortunately, if you correct it yourself, you will hear from the "losing" state eventually. 


You can file your tax return as if the 1099-R form matches your actual situation, but without an official correction, you will definitely have to prove your case. 


I suggest contacting the retirement payer again and ask for a proper correction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

1099R Sent to wrong state

What case?   If you are no longer a resident of the prior state, that state will not be taxing your 2019 distribution. 


Are you planning to file a non-resident return?

Privacy Settings