Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GCK
Level 2

1099-NEC

I received a 1099-NEC that, has my address incorrect as AZ, where I was a resident 5 years ago.  The company I have been contracting with has incorrectly shown the Income (Box 7) associated with AZ 8662303359 (Box 6).   Nothing has been withheld (Box 5).

Will Turbo Tax require an AZ tax return based on the 1099-NEC submitted and then I would need to fill out the non-resident forms to file along with the state (MN) where I did earn the money?

Do the states cross-check 1099 income with the IRS?

Is the only recourse, other than filing an additional return for AZ, to request a corrected 1099-NEC from the issuing company?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-NEC

@GCK wrote:

I am more concerned about the entry in Box 6 as AZ and the amount in Box 7.  When I enter the 1099-NEC into Turbo Tax as provided it seems to me that AZ is going to be involved.  I can't just ignore those entries, or I can I?

That may cause an issue, where AZ would be contacting you in a future year asking for payment of taxes on the amount posted in box 7.  You need to contact the Payer and request a Corrected Form 1099-NEC removing the reference to Arizona in box 6 and 7

View solution in original post

4 Replies

1099-NEC

The address on the Form 1099-NEC and the address on your tax return do not have to be the same.  Since you did not earn this income in Arizona there is no need to file a AZ state tax return for 2023.

GCK
Level 2

1099-NEC

I am more concerned about the entry in Box 6 as AZ and the amount in Box 7.  When I enter the 1099-NEC into Turbo Tax as provided it seems to me that AZ is going to be involved.  I can't just ignore those entries, or I can I?

1099-NEC

@GCK wrote:

That may cause an issue, where AZ would be contacting you in a future year asking for payment of taxes on the amount posted in box 7.  You need to contact the Payer and request a Corrected Form 1099-NEC removing the reference to Arizona in box 6 and 7

GCK
Level 2

1099-NEC

Thanks for your response, that was my thinking as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies