turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alo2019
Returning Member

1099 for remote work in various states

I work remotely as an independent contractor from Maryland for clients in DC, MA, and CA. I am a video editor. Do I have to file as a nonresident in MA and CA? I have been paying estimated taxes in MD but now am realizing since the majority of my freelance work is for out of state clients I probably owe to those states instead. I guess I will pay to CA and MA at tax time and get a refund from MD? I know the general rule is that if you don't go to the other states for the work, you don't owe but sounds like maybe CA and MA are exceptions?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

CA may well be an exception.

Due to a 2019 court ruling (known as the Bindley  decision), the income of sole proprietors providing services to clients in California may indeed be subject to California taxation, even if the service provider is a non-resident of CA and never performed any work in CA.

You can read the details here:  https://www.coblentzlaw.com/california-office-of-tax-appeals-gives-precedential-authority-to-bindley...

Therefore if you receive a 1099-MISC from a California-based client, the State of California may be looking for you to file a non-resident CA tax return for that income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

@katie-turnbloom

@TomD8 is correct. You may have to file a CA income tax return. Per CA.gov: As a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources.

Sourced income includes, but is not limited to:

• Services performed in California, or
  • Rent from real property located in California, or
  • The sale or transfer of real California property, or
  • Income from a California business, trade or profession.

Related information:

[Edited 3-23-2020|8:14 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

CA may well be an exception.

Due to a 2019 court ruling (known as the Bindley  decision), the income of sole proprietors providing services to clients in California may indeed be subject to California taxation, even if the service provider is a non-resident of CA and never performed any work in CA.

You can read the details here:  https://www.coblentzlaw.com/california-office-of-tax-appeals-gives-precedential-authority-to-bindley...

Therefore if you receive a 1099-MISC from a California-based client, the State of California may be looking for you to file a non-resident CA tax return for that income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
alo2020

Thank you. So I will be able to specify which part of my income was from California?

TomD8
Level 15

Yes.  You'll file a non-resident CA return in addition to your home state MD return.  Note that ALL your income is taxable by your resident state of MD, regardless of where earned.  MD will give you a credit for taxes paid to a non-resident state on any income that is taxable by both states, so you won't be double-taxed.

In TurboTax, be sure to complete your non-resident return(s) before you do your home state return.

alo2020

Very helpful. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies