Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Business State Return not loading

I am using Turbo Tax Business 2023 Desktop and I have completed the Federal and VA state return but need to complete a MD one as well. I saw that MD was not available until 2/15/24 and so I went online then and purchased the MD return and click the box to have it downloaded. I get the message that TT2023 was updated, but then when I try to start my MD return, it kicks me back to the same window to have me download the MD state return. I have restarted my machines and TT2023, but it continues to happen. What can be done to get this fixed? I have seen multiple post of this same issue with other state returns, so this seems to be a major issue with TT this year. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies

I am in the same boat!  Glad I am not the only one.  Just a repeated loop of trying to download Maryland.  I called tech support and the person that was "helping" me actually turned into me helping him navigate the TurboTax Business software when I shared my screen.  Long story short, he didn't know why it was happening.

Please let me know if you end up having any luck or finding any solutions.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

There are two ways to download your State program.   

Through the program Online menu 

Through TurboTax.com 

Click this link for more details about downloading your State program.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for responding. I actually had a tech support on the phone last night for 3 1/2 hours and she was very helpful. We tried many different options including her sending me a link for a free download, reinstalling the TurboTax Business software, updating my drivers, etc. Although we tried multiple different things to get it to work, she was finally able to get a response back from someone else and we believe the issue is that although the TT software indicated that the MD tax files would be ready by 2/15/23 (and it did allow me to pay for it), that did not happen. It is now expected to be available by 2/21/24. I am going to wait and try to have it added on 2/22/24 and will let you know if that worked. 

Hope this helps. 

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT WITH MY MD RETURN.  IF I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU POSTED, THE PROBLEM SHOULD BE SOLVED BY 2/24/24.  IS THAT RIGHT?

Unfortunately, that does not work. When you try to download, it says it was updated, but when you try to open the state file, it just loops you back to the same screen to download the state file. I was working with tech support last night and it appears that the MD tax file is not ready yet. It allows you to pay for it, but you cannot download the file. They are expecting it to be ready by 2/21/24, so I will have to try later this week and hopefully it will work. That method works for some other states, but not MD.

From what I have been told, that is correct. I'll have to wait and see if it actually works by then. 

This is the exact problem I am encountering except I am encountering it for PA. It provides the state (e.g. "PA") in the table, after you select "Start", it takes you to a download menu where you can select the state to download. Since I already paid for the state, it provides me the option "Here are the states you have downloaded, check the box next to each state....", etc. etc. Afterwards, it just takes me around to doing the same thing again.

This, among many other problems with the application and one hell of a roundabout to get a lick of customer support, is why no one should be as stupid as me to waste their money on using TurboTax

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Business indicates that all the Pennsylvania state business modules are estimated to be released on February 23, 2024. Until the modules are released, your installation will fail to load properly. 

Because updates are released after business hours Pacific time, we recommend that you wait until the next day to download the file for installation.

@larbedtard 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It would be nice if TurboTax were transparent about buying an IOU rather than a finished product. On top of that, it would be nice if the download clearly stated that it failed because the module wasn't ready rather than saying it was successful but doing nothing. I wasted a substantial amount of time trying to redownload the state module, redownload the TurboTax application, look at forums, etc.

The lack of transparency doesn't stop at the state, though. The federal return is also missing required forms that won't be available until the end of the month, but, of course, TurboTax doesn't inform you of that until after you bought the product and are more than halfway through filing... 

AMEN TO THAT!!

I couldn't agree more!

With my phone discussion with Tech Support, I was told that the Maryland state tax would be available on 2/22/24 (yesterday). I waited until today to check on it and it is still not available for download. This is the only thing I have remaining to complete our 2023 business taxes, but it keeps getting delayed. When will this form be available? I have already paid for it and don't understand what is taking TurboTax so long to have it available. I've been using TurboTax for over 20 years and I would hate to have to go to another tax software going forward, but if this continues, I will have no choice. 

I just checked on the MD module and it is still not available. I looked up the table for when the state returns will be available, and it now shows it won't be available until 3/1/24. This is so ridiculous. I hope they can stick to this schedule since they are due on 3/15/24!!! Very frustrating. 

mboettler

Goto thread: TurboTax 2023 State Forms Not Loading after Download

The actual software code does not exist yet for some states.  TT allows you to select it and pay for it and install it but never tells you that the code does not exist which explains why the state software never gets installed.   The above link explains how you can access an app  that shows the release dates for the state software downloads. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies