turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m self employed but did not receive a 1099 form, am I still supposed to file my earnings, if so, how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I’m self employed but did not receive a 1099 form, am I still supposed to file my earnings, if so, how?

Yes, you will need to upgrade to the Self-Employed edition.  Complete the section for your business and then add your income, select cash income to report your earnings. 

Yes you must report all your income.   You need to report all your income whether or not you get a 1099 for it. Actually you can enter your total income as Cash or General income instead of entering the actual 1099. Only the total goes to Schedule C.

To report your self employment income you will fill out schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return and pay SE self employment Tax. You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version. Or any of the Desktop programs. But you will get the most help in the Home & Business version.

How to enter income from Self Employment
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

Does it matter if the money received was through things like PayPal, patreon and so forth rather than cash?

What if all my earnings were through places like PayPal or patreon, does it matter if I place it in that section or must it be cash?

That doesn't matter just enter it as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income.  You don't need to get a 1099NEC or 1099Misc or 1099K.  Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash.  Only the total goes to schedule C.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can enter all of your business income in the business section of TurboTax Self-Employed. You will see options there to enter income reported on 1099 forms and also cash.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

To enter your self-employed income without receiving a specific form you can follow these steps in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Search for self employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? screen
    • If you land on the Your 2022 self-employed work summary page, select Review next to the work you're adding income for
  4. Answer the questions on the following screens until you arrive at Let's enter the income for your work
  5. Scroll down to the Income section and click Add income for this work
  6. Choose Other self-employed income and Continue

Also see What self-employed expenses can I deduct? to ensure you deduct all your applicable business expenses.

@hollis-paige 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies