Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ChefSH

I took money out of my 401K to start a food truck and catering in 2016 but ops (revenue) started 01/01/2017. Do I put my 401K start up $ in as business income for 2016

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I took money out of my 401K to start a food truck and catering in 2016 but ops (revenue) started 01/01/2017. Do I put my 401K start up $ in as business income for 2016

You should have received a Form 1099-R from the trustee of the 401(k) for the distribution you received from the plan.  This is the income in your Federal income tax return.  TurboTax has a special entry interview for Form 1099-R in the Wages and Income section of the program.  Pay special attention for the code number in Box 7.  This will determine some of the tax issues with your distribution.  If you are under age 59-1/2 at the time of the distribution, it is likely that you will not only owe regular income tax on the distribution but also potentially a 10% early distribution penalty.  There are several exceptions to that penalty so be sure to go through that TT screen in the interview to see if any of the exceptions apply to you (using the funds to start a business is NOT one of the exceptions but separating from service from the employer at age 55 or older may be one of them).

The distribution is NOT business income just because you invested it in the business.  As stated above, it is ordinary income and is NOT included in the business section of your return.  As far as the business is concerned, it is a capital contribution which is not a taxable event for the business.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You should have received a Form 1099-R from the trustee of the 401(k) for the distribution you received from the plan.  This is the income in your Federal income tax return.  TurboTax has a special entry interview for Form 1099-R in the Wages and Income section of the program.  Pay special attention for the code number in Box 7.  This will determine some of the tax issues with your distribution.  If you are under age 59-1/2 at the time of the distribution, it is likely that you will not only owe regular income tax on the distribution but also potentially a 10% early distribution penalty.  There are several exceptions to that penalty so be sure to go through that TT screen in the interview to see if any of the exceptions apply to you (using the funds to start a business is NOT one of the exceptions but separating from service from the employer at age 55 or older may be one of them).

The distribution is NOT business income just because you invested it in the business.  As stated above, it is ordinary income and is NOT included in the business section of your return.  As far as the business is concerned, it is a capital contribution which is not a taxable event for the business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies