Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

redhalcyon
Returning Member

Excess 401k contribution 2018, tried to report as Miscellaneous Income but still can't efile

I contributed too much to my 401k in 2018 but haven't withdrawn the excess yet (I will try this week). But in the meantime, I followed the steps from https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4422968-excess-401k-contribution-withdrawn-w2-correction-need-taxr... and reported the excess in Miscellaneous Income > Other Income not already reported on a Form W2 > Any Other Earned Income, but TurboTax keeps complaining that I've exceeded elective deferrals and won't let me efile.

This it the message it gives me:

Forms W-2 & W-2G Summary: Elective deferrals - TP $X. is more than the allowed $18500 for a qualified plan. Please check your entries on your W2 for qualified plans.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Excess 401k contribution 2018, tried to report as Miscellaneous Income but still can't efile

You have taken the right steps to have the excess distributed and included the amount of the excess deferral on your 2018 Tax Return.

There is currently an e-filing issue within TurboTax related to excess contributions so you will need to mail in your return.  You can check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies