turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA excess contribution removal.

.                                                                 In Jan 2018 I opened a roth ira for $6500 and later found agi was too high to contribute to roth ira. I did not remove the contribution in 2018. The roth is now worth $7100. I know there is a 6% penalty for each year the contribution remains in the roth. What is my best option as of today 4/12/19 I am planning to recharacterize to a trad ira. Is there a better action to take. How do I calculate the penalty in turbotax and will I pay it in 2019 taxes or in 2018 taxes, I plan to make the move today before the tax deadline April 15.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JuanOscar
Returning Member

Roth IRA excess contribution removal.

You have a few options to handle an excess contribution for 2018.  One way as you mention is to re-characterize to a Traditional IRA. If you want to keep the Roth IRA with the allowable contribution given your AGI (if this is the case) you may...

Request an extension to your 2018 taxes and make a withdrawal of the excess amount by October 15, 2019. A withdrawal is not a distribution.  When you withdraw the excess contribution you need to withdrawal any interest that contribution has earned.  Contact your Roth IRA plan administrator for help.

If you have already filed your 2018 taxes, there is a rule that allows you 6 months from the original due date of the return  (October 15, 2019) to withdraw an excess contribution (even if you didn't request an extension). You may need to final an amended federal return and possibly state return once you have made the withdrawal.  Again, your Roth IRA plan administrator should be able to help you.

As you note, It's important to fix this otherwise you may be subject to a 6% excise tax as long as the excess contribution is in the account. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies