Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brandiadams
Returning Member

Where do I input 5498-QA ABLE Account contribution info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You do not need to input the Form 5498-QA for your return as this is provided for your reference.  It is used when you need to determine the end of year value of your investment basis in the event of a distribution.

Contributions to ABLE accounts are not deductible on your Federal Tax return; however, they may be deductible on your State return depending on where you live. 

Here are some links you may find helpful regarding ABLE Accounts:

If you have another question regarding ABLE accounts, please comment below so that I can assist you further.

dminter
Returning Member

My Nebraska State Tax return asked if I "made an contribution to a Nebraska ENABLE Plan" in 2019. Yes, but the account is my son's (who is 18) account, but I'm on the account and opened it on his behalf. The Form 5498-QA was mailed to my son. Do I answer "yes" to the contribution question on my tax return? Or does my son have to file a return (which he has never done - never had an income) to report that contribution? My understanding is that it's a tax free account. It's not my account, it's my son's account, but we have contributed to the account in 2019. How do I answer the State tax question about contributions to an ENABLE account - "yes" or "no"? Does my son have to report anything?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Earnings in an ABLE account are not taxed by the federal or state government. Money withdrawn from the account to pay for Qualified Disability Expenses  is also not taxed.

While assets in the account belong to the account owner, anyone can contribute. You, friends, and family members can all contribute to your account up to an annual total contribution limit of $15,000 from all sources.

Learn more about contributions

Please see this helpful link:  Enable Savings Plan

Edited 03/15/2020

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If your state has Able Account contribution requirements will TurboTax ask about the contributions?  How would we know if the state we live in has that requirement?

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, if your state has requirements for Able accounts, there will be a question in the state portion of your return in TurboTax.

This link has a comparison of basic information for Able accounts in different states Able Accounts

In Maryland if you contribute to a Maryland ABLE account and live in Maryland you can get up to $2,500 tax deduction. Where do I put this information into TurboTax so that I can claim this deduction on my State Return?

Accessing a Maryland State income tax deduction
up to $2,500 per contributor per beneficiary for
Maryland residents contributing to a Maryland
ABLE account.

https://health.maryland.gov/dda/Documents/COVID%2019%20Documents/Information%20for%20People%20and%20...

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You would input the information found on Form 5498-QA, but not the form itself.

The Maryland college plan can be found under Education. To enter this in TurboTax Online, you can follow these steps:

• Start Maryland Return
  • When you get to "Here's the income that Maryland handles differently", Go to Education, and Click start next to the education savings plans contributions
  • Answer the question to enter your contributions

@danrussell1117 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Under Miscellanous on the screen Here's the income that Maryland handles differently, 

• go down to ABLE Account Contributions and Qualified Distributions. 
  • The following screen asks if the user made an ABLE contribution in 2022. Furthermore, it states that there is up to a $2,500 subtraction from Maryland income per ABLE account per beneficiary. 

@danrussell1117 

[Edited03/17/23|11:03 AM PST]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies