turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drrrragon

My son is receiving child benefits from social security. Does he file his own 1040, or does his SS income get filed with my spouse and me?

He is aged 10.  His SS income would be about $8k.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

My son is receiving child benefits from social security. Does he file his own 1040, or does his SS income get filed with my spouse and me?

You do not include your son's social security benefit on your tax return.  If the social security benefit is the only income he received during the tax year, he is not required to file his own taxes.  

If he is claimed as a dependent and received income other than his social security during the year, he is required to file his own taxes if meets the following requirements :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302185

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You do not include your son's social security benefit on your tax return.  If the social security benefit is the only income he received during the tax year, he is not required to file his own taxes.  

If he is claimed as a dependent and received income other than his social security during the year, he is required to file his own taxes if meets the following requirements :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302185

drrrragon

Thank you for the detailed response.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are very welcome !
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies