turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

officelyn58
Returning Member

Should I claim 0 federal taxes withheld on my W2 if I work full time and my husband is on social security?

I have always received a refund until this year. Last year my husband was on Social Security Disability and I still received a refund but this year I end up paying them. I am just trying to avoid having to pay them a lot of money.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristieB

Should I claim 0 federal taxes withheld on my W2 if I work full time and my husband is on social security?

You should always enter your W-2 information into TurboTax exactly as it appears. The IRS receives this information as well, and the two need to match exactly.

Going forward, I would use this information to file a new W-4 with your employer. The more exemptions that are claimed on this form, the less tax is withheld. By reducing the number of exemptions on this form so that more tax is withheld each pay period, you can avoid owing large sums of money in future tax years. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChristieB

You should always enter your W-2 information into TurboTax exactly as it appears. The IRS receives this information as well, and the two need to match exactly.

Going forward, I would use this information to file a new W-4 with your employer. The more exemptions that are claimed on this form, the less tax is withheld. By reducing the number of exemptions on this form so that more tax is withheld each pay period, you can avoid owing large sums of money in future tax years. 

officelyn58
Returning Member

I am claiming only 1 now. With new tax law changes that is what hurt us this year I think. So if I claim 0 and if my husband should work part-time at any time this year with being on social security should he also claim 0? Or should he just have social security withhold some money for federal?
ChristieB

Yes, changing the number of exemptions to 0 from those sources would increase your withholding. You may also choose to have an additional dollar amount withheld from each pay period using line 6 of the W-4.

Any of the steps you suggested should help you to reduce the burden of a large dollar amount owed at tax time.

TurboTax has a W-4 withholding calculator that might be helpful in determining which steps would best suit your needs:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calcula...>
officelyn58
Returning Member

Thanks so much for your help 🙂
ChristieB

You are very welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies