turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Withdraws from IRA and Roth accounts

I withdrew $10,000 from a traditional IRA toward the purchase of a new home in 2018. I claimed that $10,000 on my taxes as going toward the home purchase, so that was allocated correctly. However, I also took a second withdraw from a Roth IRA for the same amount and same reason. Can both $10,000 withdraws be claimed as deductions or non-taxable reason for withdraw on my 2018 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

The $10,000 limit is for all IRAs you have. However, if you have $10,000 of contributions in your Roth IRA, that will not be taxed at all. Your after tax contributions to a Roth are never taxable. You are only taxed on the earnings.

Also, if you are married and your spouse has an IRA, they can withdraw $10,000 without the penalty as well.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ashby

The $10,000 limit is for all IRAs you have. However, if you have $10,000 of contributions in your Roth IRA, that will not be taxed at all. Your after tax contributions to a Roth are never taxable. You are only taxed on the earnings.

Also, if you are married and your spouse has an IRA, they can withdraw $10,000 without the penalty as well.

Hi - Thank you very much for answering my question. I sincerely appreciate the help. I am using TurboTax Deluxe software for desktop and in the section, 'IRA, 401k Withdrawals' of my return it states, "Based on the code in box 7 of this 1099-R, you're paying extra tax on this money." This is in regards to the early Roth distribution.

Is my next step to note contribution amounts to my Roth in Form 5329? Will noting contributions to the Roth prevent me from paying extra taxes on this withdrawal?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies