Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TJ0000

Will I know that my lump sum elections were done correctly? It seems they ended up including it in this years income for all the back years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Will I know that my lump sum elections were done correctly? It seems they ended up including it in this years income for all the back years?

If you are referring to a social security lump sum payment, the total payment will appear on your form 1040, line 6(a), and the taxable social security amount will appear on line 6(b). To know if the taxable amount is correct, you can review the Lump-Sum Social Security Worksheet,  that you can access once your pay for your TurboTax program. It will show how the taxable benefits under the lump-sum election is calculated. Then, you can view the Social Security Benefits Worksheet that will show how the normal taxable benefits on the current year distribution is calculated, on line 18. The taxable social security benefits, on line 20 of the worksheet, will be the smaller of the taxable benefits with the lump sum election versus the taxable benefits without the election. That amount will be your taxable benefits on line 6(b) of form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The lump sum election, all in this year, is useful when you don't have copies of the filed returns for those other named  years.

@TJ0000 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies