Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drthames

Why is TurboTax still showing a COVID 401k distribution for 2023?

TurboTax is still showing a third of the 2020 401k distribution as 2023 income.  2022 was the last year this was applicable.  I've tried the other recommendations to manually go in and delete 8915/1099-R forms.  I even started over from scratch, but it's still showing up in my 2023 income.  How do i remove this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The Form 8915-F Worksheet and the Form 8915-F along with the Form 1099-R were transferred from the 2022 tax return and need to be deleted.  There may also be a "Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions" and/or a "2020 Disaster Distribution" form listed that has to be deleted.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

View solution in original post

10 Replies

The Form 8915-F Worksheet and the Form 8915-F along with the Form 1099-R were transferred from the 2022 tax return and need to be deleted.  There may also be a "Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions" and/or a "2020 Disaster Distribution" form listed that has to be deleted.

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

drthames

I wasn't seeing that there was also the "Qualified Disaster" form in there as well.  That fixed it, thanks!!

@drthames 

If you have reviewed your forms list and removed all instances of the Form 8915, Form 1099-R and all worksheets associated with the distribution and you still have this problem, clear your tax return and start over.

As soon as you start over, before entering any information, go directly to Delete a form and remove the forms and worksheets and see if that corrects the problem.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2023 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

drthames

I edited my response as you were responding, sorry about that.

I’m having the same issues. I already paid these taxes with last year being the final year of it. There is no way to delete anything on the app, is this something I need to do from the actual website? 

@Leigh Ann82 wrote:

I’m having the same issues. I already paid these taxes with last year being the final year of it. There is no way to delete anything on the app, is this something I need to do from the actual website? 

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer, click on Forms.

When in Forms mode locate these forms on the left side of the screen.  Click on the form to open each one and at the bottom of the screen click on Delete Form

If you are using the TurboTax online editions -

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Same problem here. I'm using the online service. I've followed your instructions three times now (deleting forms, starting over), and it still wants to include 1099-R and Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and 2020 Disaster Distribution for 2023. Like others, I paid the last of these taxes last year. I'm married, filing jointly. Is there any way I could start completely over so that it doesn't bring in any information from the last three years?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Delete all 1099-R forms that are entered in the program, delete the disaster distribution forms. If you have a 1099-R, re-enter it and be sure to mark no to any disaster distributions.

To delete, if you are using:

• Online: see How do I view and delete forms in TTO?
  •  Desktop: If you are working in the cd/download TurboTax program:
    1. On the top right, there is a FORMS button. 
    2. Click on FORMS.
    3. Locate the form you want to delete.
    4. Click on the form name.
    5. Below the form, bottom left, select DELETE FORM button. 

If this does not work, follow these steps:

Desktop version: 

1. Delete the form
  2. Save your return while closing the program.
  3. Update the program
  4. Open

Online version:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet- if possible, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return

@mandleyj 

@Leigh Ann82

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not working. Followed your instructions, deleted forms, cleared cache, using Google and it still shows up. Just to clarify, are you suggesting that I claim "No" when it asks if I received Qualified Disaster Relief prior to 2023? 

If you want to start over without transferring.....

There is a tricky way to clear out transferred info in the Online version.  But doing this will also clear out all your entries.  Go to Tax Tools > Tools > Transfer from your computer > Continue > then Continue without transferring.

Or you can just start a brand new account with a new username.  How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies