turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

flippo4nl

Why is my military retirement included for my state return when it should not be

I am a resident of NC
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Why is my military retirement included for my state return when it should not be

This is how to get that subtraction in Maryland and I'll bet a nickel it's the same procedure for NC:

You have to make a certain entry in one of the federal 1099-R pension screens. Go to that 1099-R:

Federal Taxes tab; Wages & Income; I'll choose what I work on; under Retirement Plans and SS update IRA, 401(k), Pension...; Edit that 1099-R; be sure you have "NC" in Box 13; click through 3-4 screens until you get to Where Is This Distribution From? Be sure you have selected Active duty military retirement. That tells TT/Maryland (and TT/North Carolina, I'm hoping) to compute that deduction for you.

If that doesn't work please reply back.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

This is how to get that subtraction in Maryland and I'll bet a nickel it's the same procedure for NC:

You have to make a certain entry in one of the federal 1099-R pension screens. Go to that 1099-R:

Federal Taxes tab; Wages & Income; I'll choose what I work on; under Retirement Plans and SS update IRA, 401(k), Pension...; Edit that 1099-R; be sure you have "NC" in Box 13; click through 3-4 screens until you get to Where Is This Distribution From? Be sure you have selected Active duty military retirement. That tells TT/Maryland (and TT/North Carolina, I'm hoping) to compute that deduction for you.

If that doesn't work please reply back.

flippo4nl

Took me a few minutes to navigate my way there but I finally found it. Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies