turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SubiChick
Returning Member

Why is 1099-R for Retirement (Disability) Not Populating in Form 1040, Line 11b?

Have had a 1099-R for Retirement since 2013. Box 2a Taxable Amount always = $0, Box 7 Distribution Code is 3 (Disability). Entered all information as indicated and there is usually a minimal amount in Box 5 Employee Contribution, and always mark "Under minimum retirement age".

For 2019 return, IRS just notified me this income is taxable income (now I owe more), but when I entered the 1099-R Retirement amount I received, it does/or did not populate in Form 1040, line 11b. Why is this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why is 1099-R for Retirement (Disability) Not Populating in Form 1040, Line 11b?

What year?  If you were under full retirement age then code 3 disability should go up on the Wages line.  Since box 2a was zero you might have needed to leave it blank not enter 0.

SubiChick
Returning Member

This is for 2019 return. I entered it as indicated for form 1099-R (boxes 1-17, where box 7 indicates Distribution Code "3" for disability) and I made sure I marked that I am under retirement age. Is there a glitch in the online system perhaps? By answering the under retirement age, I would think this would automatically push the gross distribution to Form 1040, Line 11b, but it doesn't.

You must leave box 2a blank even if there is a zero on the form especially if box 2b is checked.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies