Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does Turbotax treat my required reporting of my World Bank pension benefits for the year on Form 8938 as required by the US Treasury as an error?

Because I need to override Turbotax to put my annual World Bank pension benefits on Form 8938 (as required by the US Treasury), I can't file electronically.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Why does Turbotax treat my required reporting of my World Bank pension benefits for the year on Form 8938 as required by the US Treasury as an error?

What is the exact error you are getting?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The error message is "Form 8938: Value of Custodial Accounts should not be overridden and changed for Electronic Filing. Using an override can prevent the cross-checking that's important for an accurate tax return."

However, the US Treasury tells us that we should report our interest in the World Bank Staff Retirement Plan using Form 8938.  Since that interest is difficult to value, we are instructed by the US Treasury to report the value as equal to the amount of distributions received during the year (as report on my 1099-R from the World Bank).  To report that figure, I have to use an override.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you override something in TurboTax, you will have to print and mail your return.  You cannot e-file with an override. 

How do I override (replace) an amount calculated by TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies