Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTax keep changing my answer about having IRA distribution before I turned 59 1/2 (when I review answers, I have to correct it every time)?

I crossed the 59.5 year boundary half way through the year but didn't start distribution till after that date.  It's hard to feel confident about my answers being recorded when they change every time I check back through.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Why does TurboTax keep changing my answer about having IRA distribution before I turned 59 1/2 (when I review answers, I have to correct it every time)?

TurboTax does not record the answer you provide to this question because your answer is only used to tell TurboTax what question to ask next.  Each time you encounter the question simply answer accurately (you were over age 59½ at the time of the distribution) and move on.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ToddL

When did you turn 60? What Distribution Code was in Box 7 of the 1099-R?

turned 60 in late November 2016...distribution code 7 and IRA/SEP/SIMPLE checked.
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax does not record the answer you provide to this question because your answer is only used to tell TurboTax what question to ask next.  Each time you encounter the question simply answer accurately (you were over age 59½ at the time of the distribution) and move on.

dmertz
Level 15

You can confirm that TurboTax is handling the reporting of this distribution correctly by seeing that there is no 10% early-distribution penalty for this distribution shown on Form 1040 line 59.

Your answer makes sense to me.  Thanks.  
That said, it sure seems like a poor UI choice to not remember that answer.  Why not just remember it so that your path through the system is the same whether you are entering for the first time or reviewing your answers.
I know this is a quibble on a fine product that I use year after year...still...
dmertz
Level 15

I agree.  Many people ask the same question you did and this is not the only question TurboTax asks that does not result in the answer being recorded.  Suggestions have been made to have TurboTax record the answers but no changes have been made an none are expected.  Recording the answers would require changes to the underlying data record structures that are not necessary for TurboTax to prepare the e-filing or the printed tax forms.

@dmertz 

But why some of the answers are being saved, and some are being changed( let’s say you put “yes” then the next time you sign in, the answer is changed to “No”. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies