Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does Turbo Tax say my taxes withheld on my W-2 is only $334 when Federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld add up to over $460? What am I missing?

Its just a retail job and its saying I owe when my math looks like they should owe me. HELP! THANKS!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Why does Turbo Tax say my taxes withheld on my W-2 is only $334 when Federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld add up to over $460? What am I missing?

Federal tax withholding is separate from withholding for Social Security and Medicare taxes.  The Federal tax withheld is the payment you make towards the tax due on your return. Social Security and Medicare taxes are payments made towards your retirement benefits.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Only your federal wages and  federal income taxes withheld are reported on a tax return as shown on your W-2 in box 1 and box 2.
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Federal tax withholding is separate from withholding for Social Security and Medicare taxes.  The Federal tax withheld is the payment you make towards the tax due on your return. Social Security and Medicare taxes are payments made towards your retirement benefits.

Okay thank you for helping me. I'm pretty tax dumb haha. Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies