turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self201

Why does TT not allow allocation between spouses of our "charitable contributions not reported as an itemized deduction" for Line 24 on my Iowa return (MFS combined)?

The $300 from our federal return is carried over as my deduction, and this amount is grayed out and unchangeable in TT.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Why does TT not allow allocation between spouses of our "charitable contributions not reported as an itemized deduction" for Line 24 on my Iowa return (MFS combined)?

Yes, it does come across and is allocated directly to the Taxpayer.  But unless there is a large difference in total Iowa income between the Taxpayer and Spouse that may push one into the upper brackets, the odds are there will not be a material tax savings my allocating to Taxpayer or spouse.  But I will note this for our operations area.  

Self201

Thanks.  The ability to allocate is important since the Iowa instructions for "Other Adjustments" require allocation between spouses based on net income if an adjustment is not attributable to one spouse.  Agree that the tax impact will vary based on the bracket differential.

Also, I had to manually back out the $300 cash contribution from my Iowa itemized deductions to avoid double-counting this amount.  It would nice if the software automatically subtracted the cash charitable contribution entered for Line 24 from the total charitable contribution amount so that the itemized deductions would automatically calculate correctly (or at least called attention to the double-counting problem when asking for charitable contributions for the itemized Iowa deduction).

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  The $300 adjustment to income on the IA1040 is not reducing contributions on the Schedule A.  I will bring that to the attention of our operations area.  For now that will have to be a manual adjustment.  So many changes with the Cares Act and now the American Rescue Plan Act, we are just trying to tread water as all the changes can affect states in a different way depending if the state coupled, dont couple, or partially couple.  Thanks for your patience.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies