Why does my 1099-R not show insurance premiums that we pay that come out of my retirement check?

I pay around $1650 a month for family insurance that comes out of my retirement check before I get it.  Why do these premiums not show up on the 1099-R in box 5? I pay those premiums, why can't I claim them?

If you are sure your premiums are after-tax (most 1099-R premiums are this way), you can certainly deduct them. You may want to verify that with the retirement plan administrator.

The premiums do not have to be listed in Box 5 for you to deduct them on Schedule A. If you know the amount for the year, you can go ahead and claim.