Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my 1099-R not show insurance premiums that we pay that come out of my retirement check?

I pay around $1650 a month for family insurance that comes out of my retirement check before I get it.  Why do these premiums not show up on the 1099-R in box 5? I pay those premiums, why can't I claim them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Why does my 1099-R not show insurance premiums that we pay that come out of my retirement check?

If you are sure your premiums are after-tax (most 1099-R premiums are this way), you can certainly deduct them. You may want to verify that with the retirement plan administrator.

The premiums do not have to be listed in Box 5 for you to deduct them on Schedule A. If you know the amount for the year, you can go ahead and claim.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ashby

If you are sure your premiums are after-tax (most 1099-R premiums are this way), you can certainly deduct them. You may want to verify that with the retirement plan administrator.

The premiums do not have to be listed in Box 5 for you to deduct them on Schedule A. If you know the amount for the year, you can go ahead and claim.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies