Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adams32t

WHY CAN'T I PICK WASHINGTON AS THE STATE FOR BLOCK 15? WASHINGTON IS MISSING OUT OF THE OPTIONS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

WHY CAN'T I PICK WASHINGTON AS THE STATE FOR BLOCK 15? WASHINGTON IS MISSING OUT OF THE OPTIONS

On your W-2?  Washington does not have a state income tax.   So no tax would have been withheld for WA.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If the software complains somehow, and you only worked in WA...leave boxes 15, 16, 17  (and 18, 19 20)  entirely blank.

IF you don't have your actual W-2....don't wing-it.  Wait for those forms to be issued and you must have them in front of you to get all the entries right.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

My TurboTax (TT) software (download Deluxe) allows me to show WA (and TX and FL).  Make sure your software is updated.

There are (rare) times when you need to enter that and TT does accommodate it. 

Unfortunately, my "Online" Premier account doesn't allow WA in either W-2 or 1099-R

(for a different state Online Premier, includes TN for a 1099-R, but not for a W-2....TN has just the Hall tax, but some of that is income triggered...good thing the Hall tax disappears for 2021 & beyond)  .

Yes, having those non-income-taxing states in the software can really help, especially for those working cross state borders, or occasionally for those who move to or from that particular state during the year.  e.g.  Worked in WA for 5 Months, then moved & worked in AZ.  I want to make it perfectly clear in my part-year AZ return that the WA-job W-2 was not AZ part-year income.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies