turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I being asked about retirement distributions from 2017, 2018 and 2019 for my 2020 tax return, in regards to a Retirement Savings Contribution Credit?

I already paid taxes on my distributions from 2017, so it shouldn't be deducted from the Savings Credit for what I saved to my retirement in 2020 correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Why am I being asked about retirement distributions from 2017, 2018 and 2019 for my 2020 tax return, in regards to a Retirement Savings Contribution Credit?

Its asking about distributions made after 2017.  Distributions made after 2017 and before the due date of your tax return if not rolled over or converted to Roth reduce the amount of new contributions that are eligible to be considered when calculating this credit.  This is to avoid one getting the credit for simply taking out the retirement money just to use it to make a new contribution and get a credit without actually increasing retirement savings.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Any distributions you make in the prior three years reduces the amount of the Saver's Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies