turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I report federal income tax withheld from an RMD on an inherited IRA? I have a Form 1099-R showing the withholding but don't know where to put it in TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Where do I report federal income tax withheld from an RMD on an inherited IRA? I have a Form 1099-R showing the withholding but don't know where to put it in TurboTax.

You deal with the 1099-R under the Personal Income tab in the Retirement & Social Security Income section. Elect to start/update the sub-section for 1099-R and enter the 1099-R exactly as printed. there "WILL" be boxes in the program for entering taxes withheld. You just enter the 1099-R into the program, exactly as printed and the PAY ATTENTION to the screens that follow. If you don't read the small print, you very well may be surprised at all the penalties the program will say you have to pay. So please read everything on each screen before making selections and proceeding to the next screen.

dmertz
Level 15

When you enter the Form 1099-R, you'll enter the amount in box 4 of the Form 1099-R into box 4 of TurboTax's 1099-R form.  TurboTax will include this tax withholding on Form 1040 line 64 or Form 1040A line 40 along with withholding shown on any other Forms 1099 or Forms W-2.

Thank you both.  Don't know how I missed that.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies