turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can i find the roth ira contribution on my w2?

which box on my w2 will show me how much I contributed to my roth ira?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

An IRA (Individual Retirement Arrangement) is something you set up yourself (outside of work) so it wouldn't be reported on your W-2. Information about contributions to your Roth IRA can be found on the year-end summary statement from the bank, broker, or mutual fund that holds your account. 

If you had a Roth retirement plan at work, contributions to it will be indicated on your W-2 in Box 12 with code:

• AA: Roth 401(k) plan.
  • BB: Roth 403(b) plan.
  • EE: Roth contributions under governmental section 457(b) plan. This amount does not apply to contributions under a tax-exempt organization section 457(b) plan.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

An IRA (Individual Retirement Arrangement) is something you set up yourself (outside of work) so it wouldn't be reported on your W-2. Information about contributions to your Roth IRA can be found on the year-end summary statement from the bank, broker, or mutual fund that holds your account. 

If you had a Roth retirement plan at work, contributions to it will be indicated on your W-2 in Box 12 with code:

• AA: Roth 401(k) plan.
  • BB: Roth 403(b) plan.
  • EE: Roth contributions under governmental section 457(b) plan. This amount does not apply to contributions under a tax-exempt organization section 457(b) plan.
Edmar777

Hello, I have complicated question I hope I can get an answer to. I contributed $12k last year to a Roth IRA and did not distribute it to stock, bonds, or ETF's. 

I did this year. It seems like a obvious when one but with taxes I'm weary. Should I put on my taxes that I contributed to my Roth IRA for 2020 even though I did not receive dividends, only $5?

@Edmar777 wrote:

Hello, I have complicated question I hope I can get an answer to. I contributed $12k last year to a Roth IRA and did not distribute it to stock, bonds, or ETF's. 

I did this year. It seems like a obvious when one but with taxes I'm weary. Should I put on my taxes that I contributed to my Roth IRA for 2020 even though I did not receive dividends, only $5?

Are you asking about a IRA held in a bank or financial institution in your name or an employer Roth which is NOT an IRA.

The most that can be contributed to an IRA in a year is $6,000 (or $7,000 if over age 50).    Gains or losses in a IRA are not reported.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies