Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I chose to take an early distribution on my 401k-of $3090.19; I withheld an est amt of $618.04-why does turbo tax say I owe addtl $309 if I should pay 10%?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I chose to take an early distribution on my 401k-of $3090.19; I withheld an est amt of $618.04-why does turbo tax say I owe addtl $309 if I should pay 10%?

The plan administrator is required to withhold 20% of the distribution from the 401(k) for federal income taxes.  The taxes withheld are entered on your federal tax return as a tax payment.  The distribution is entered on your tax return as ordinary income along with your other income and taxed at your current tax rate.

Since this was an early distribution there is a 10% early distribution penalty assessed on your federal tax return and entered as a tax liability.

If your total tax payments are greater than your total tax liabilities you will receive a tax refund for the overpayment.  If your total tax payments are less than your total tax liabilities then you will have taxes owed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The plan administrator is required to withhold 20% of the distribution from the 401(k) for federal income taxes.  The taxes withheld are entered on your federal tax return as a tax payment.  The distribution is entered on your tax return as ordinary income along with your other income and taxed at your current tax rate.

Since this was an early distribution there is a 10% early distribution penalty assessed on your federal tax return and entered as a tax liability.

If your total tax payments are greater than your total tax liabilities you will receive a tax refund for the overpayment.  If your total tax payments are less than your total tax liabilities then you will have taxes owed.

Even though you had withholding taken out, 

It has to break out and show the 10% Early Withdrawal penalty separately on your return, (Schedule 2 line 6 which goes to 1040 line 15)

Then you get credit for all the withholding taken out on 1040 line 17.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies