Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When are Roth conversion taxes due?

It was my understanding that if you completed a roth conversion let's say in November, the taxes are not due until you pay your federal and state taxes by April 15th of the following year. 

Even though I opted to pay the full amount of taxes for my November Roth conversion in December/January as a 4th quarter payment,  Turbo Tax included a penalty amount on my federal and state return. Please note that I am to receive a refund for both.  The 1099 R does not reveal the month of conversion; therefore, am I to assume this conversion is taxed for the entire year?  Please help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. The IRS may assess an estimated tax penalty if 4 equal payments are not made through the year. You may be able to waive the tax by completing form 2210 as suggested by the IRS in Topic 306. Turbo Tax will generate 2210 form if you need it in your return and it will allow you to enter information that may help you waive the penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

By default, income and tax withholding, but not estimated tax payments, are treated as being received and paid evenly throughout the year.  This means that there would be an underpayment of taxes for the earlier tax quarters if a large amount of income received late in the year for which an estimated tax payment is made.  Eliminating the penalty for the earlier quarters requires annualizing income on Schedule AI of Form 2210 to cause income to be treated as received unevenly throughout the year.  Schedule AI is where you would indicate that all of the income from the Roth conversion occurred in Q4.

Thanks for your helpful response!

Thank you for your helpful response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies