Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When and how do I pay deferred taxes for social security?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

The deferred deposits of the employer's share of Social Security tax must be deposited by the following dates (referred to as the "applicable dates") to be treated as timely (and avoid a failure to deposit penalty):

• On December 31, 2021, 50 percent of the eligible deferred amount; and
  • On December 31, 2022, the remaining amount.

However, if an employer pays any amount before the applicable dates, any such payment is first applied to reduce the employer's liability for an amount due on December 31, 2021 and then to the amount due on December 31, 2022.

The IRS intends to issue a reminder notice to employers before each applicable due date. Because each return period is treated separately for purposes of determining the amount of tax due for the period, Form 941 filers that deferred in all four quarters of 2020 may receive four reminder notices stating the deferred amounts that are due on the applicable dates in 2021 and 2022, even though the amounts for all four quarters will have the same due dates of December 31, 2021 and December 31, 2022.

Deferral of employment tax deposits and payments through December 31, 2020

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jekupe

What is the appropriate label on the IRS.gov website when paying deferred taxes? There is not a label for "deferred taxes." 

If you go to IRS.gov and click on "Make a payment" there is a drop down menu titled "Reason for Payment." Unfortunately there is not a "deferred taxes" option on this drop down menu. 

What is the appropriate choice from this drop down menu when paying deferred employer based social security taxes? 

Thanks!

Here is  IRS Notice 2020-65 which explains more about deferred Social Security taxes.  

To make a payment, visit the EFTPS website.  To choose the appropriate dropdown choice, you may need to contact To reach an EFTPS customer service agent: 1.800.555.4477.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies