turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What type of retirement income is the RMD of my inherited IRA? The state of PA wants to know. I am under 59 1/2 and the deceased was over 72 years old.

TT gives several options that I am considering: I'm eligible
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RaifH
Expert Alumni

What type of retirement income is the RMD of my inherited IRA? The state of PA wants to know. I am under 59 1/2 and the deceased was over 72 years old.

Assuming the 1099-R has a Code 4 distribution code in Box 7, you can select Traditional or Roth IRA: I'm under 59.5 for What kind of retirement income do you have from Pennsylvania?

The PA instructions state on page 12 that distributions from an IRA are not taxable if paid to a designated beneficiary.

TurboTax will automatically recognize it is a beneficiary distribution exempt from tax in the state of PA and will tell you on the next screen This is a distribution due to death and is not taxable for PA purposes. You can leave the basis field blank. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Assuming the 1099-R has a Code 4 distribution code in Box 7, you can select Traditional or Roth IRA: I'm under 59.5 for What kind of retirement income do you have from Pennsylvania?

The PA instructions state on page 12 that distributions from an IRA are not taxable if paid to a designated beneficiary.

TurboTax will automatically recognize it is a beneficiary distribution exempt from tax in the state of PA and will tell you on the next screen This is a distribution due to death and is not taxable for PA purposes. You can leave the basis field blank. 

Thanks for clarifying!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies