turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the tax penalty from withdrawing from an investment account (wealthfront) for a downpayment on first home? I make around 30,000 per year and have 48,000 in investments.

I would like to withdraw at least 20,000 for downpayment and other expenses. This is not an IRA just a regular investment account.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What is the tax penalty from withdrawing from an investment account (wealthfront) for a downpayment on first home? I make around 30,000 per year and have 48,000 in investments.

There’s no penalty for withdrawal from a non-retirement account unless you are cashing out a CD prematurely, for example. If you are liquidating an asset that has a capital gain, you would of course be taxed on that income (15%). 

and depending on your income level, that capital gains tax may be less than 15%. (and don't forgest state income tax!)

capital gains is the difference between your 'cost basis' and the proceeds from the sale of the investments. Your broker should have good records on these numbers. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies