turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ybelt

What if I did not report a contribution that was made to my Traditional Roth IRA in 2017? Can I report it in my 2018 contribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What if I did not report a contribution that was made to my Traditional Roth IRA in 2017? Can I report it in my 2018 contribution?

No, you will need to amend your 2017 return to report the IRA contribution in the correct year.  You can't add it to your 2018 return.  But, you mention both Traditional and Roth IRA - these are two separate types.  A ROTH IRA would not qualify you for a deduction but you may qualify for a retirement savings contribution credit.  So, its possible you may not need to amend the 2017 return if it was just a ROTH IRA contribution and you were eligible to make it and you aren't eligible for the credit.  But, you may want to enter it to check for these items.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, you will need to amend your 2017 return to report the IRA contribution in the correct year.  You can't add it to your 2018 return.  But, you mention both Traditional and Roth IRA - these are two separate types.  A ROTH IRA would not qualify you for a deduction but you may qualify for a retirement savings contribution credit.  So, its possible you may not need to amend the 2017 return if it was just a ROTH IRA contribution and you were eligible to make it and you aren't eligible for the credit.  But, you may want to enter it to check for these items.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies