turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I owe

If I sell my ROTH IRA and buy a non IRA CD, the only tax I will owe is on the CD interest from the time of purchase on - correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

What do I owe

It depends.  If you are selling the ROTH IRA and you are not 59 1/2 years old you and the account has been open for less than 5 years you will have tax due on the CD interest and you may also incur a 10% penalty for early withdrawal.  

If your ROTH IRA has been open for 5 years and you are under 59 1/2 years old you may withdraw the earnings without penalty, but you will owe taxes on the earnings amount you withdraw.

The amount that you put into the ROTH IRA originally you can withdraw without penalty or taxes begin charged on the withdrawal.

If you are over 59 1/2 years old and the account has been open for 5 years you will not have any tax due on the withdrawal.

Click on this link for more information about withdrawing from a ROTH IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

What do I owe

It depends.  If you are selling the ROTH IRA and you are not 59 1/2 years old you and the account has been open for less than 5 years you will have tax due on the CD interest and you may also incur a 10% penalty for early withdrawal.  

If your ROTH IRA has been open for 5 years and you are under 59 1/2 years old you may withdraw the earnings without penalty, but you will owe taxes on the earnings amount you withdraw.

The amount that you put into the ROTH IRA originally you can withdraw without penalty or taxes begin charged on the withdrawal.

If you are over 59 1/2 years old and the account has been open for 5 years you will not have any tax due on the withdrawal.

Click on this link for more information about withdrawing from a ROTH IRA.

dmertz
Level 15

What do I owe

AlanR, it makes no sense to do what you are proposing.  Purchase a Roth IRA CD instead by nonreportable trustee-to-trustee transfer.  If someone else has suggested that you do this, they are not operating in your best interest.

What do I owe

It's already been done-even if it was a dumb move. 

Jjhen26

What do I owe

What do I owe the IRS 

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

What do I owe

Can you clarify what you are asking? 

Have you reviewed your Tax Summary (Tools/Tax Tools/View Tax Summary) to see the taxable income, payments and tax calculation?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies