Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I have to do to allow my ex husband to fully claim one of our children on his taxes?

I claimed this child last year but agreed that he could claim her this year. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What do I have to do to allow my ex husband to fully claim one of our children on his taxes?

Give him a signed Form 8332 to allow a non-custodial parent to claim the dependency and child tax credit.  You as the custodial parent can still claim child care credit, EIC and file as head of household if otherwise qualified to do so.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Give him a signed Form 8332 to allow a non-custodial parent to claim the dependency and child tax credit.  You as the custodial parent can still claim child care credit, EIC and file as head of household if otherwise qualified to do so.

"Fully"?  The child must live in his home more than half the nights of the year.

If not, only the parent where the child lives more than half the nights can claim the child as a dependent.  If that is you, you can give your ex a form 8332 dependent release form, which will allow your ex to claim the child tax credit.  But EIC, qualification for head of household, and the dependent care credit, always stay with the custodial parent and can never be waived, transferred or given away.

Alternatively, you lie and say the child lived with your ex more than half the year, and you don't claim the child at all.  If you get caught, you can both be penalized, including automatic disbarment from EIC for a minimum of 2 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies