turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do with RRB-1099 and RRB 1099R

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You enter each form separately.

Here's how to enter Form RRB-1099 in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "Retirement Plans and Social Security."
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)."
  • On the next screen, select "Yes, let's work on Social Security benefits" and click Continue.
  • On the next screen, "Tell Us About the Benefits You Received," check the box for "Railroad retirement benefits (Form RRB-1099)," then enter the amounts indicated on the screen. If you are filing a joint return, be sure to enter the amounts in the column for the correct person.

Here's how to enter Form RRB-1099-R in TurboTax. Start off the same as if you were entering a regular 1099-R.

• Click Wages & Income.
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "Retirement Plans and Social Security."
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)."
  • When you get to the screen that says "Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have," select RRB-1099-R. If you are filing a joint return, be sure to select the correct person that the RRB-1099-R belongs to. Click Continue.

Enter the information into TurboTax exactly as it appears on the RRB-1099-R. If a box on the RRB-1099-R is blank, leave it blank in TurboTax; don't enter zero. After you enter the RRB-1099-R TurboTax will ask you a series of questions. Read the questions carefully and be sure to answer them accurately.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You enter each form separately.

Here's how to enter Form RRB-1099 in TurboTax.

• Click Wages & Income.
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)."
  • On the next screen, select "Yes, let's work on Social Security benefits" and click Continue.
  • On the next screen, "Tell Us About the Benefits You Received," check the box for "Railroad retirement benefits (Form RRB-1099)," then enter the amounts indicated on the screen. If you are filing a joint return, be sure to enter the amounts in the column for the correct person.

Here's how to enter Form RRB-1099-R in TurboTax. Start off the same as if you were entering a regular 1099-R.

• Click Wages & Income.
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)."
  • When you get to the screen that says "Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have," select RRB-1099-R. If you are filing a joint return, be sure to select the correct person that the RRB-1099-R belongs to. Click Continue.

Enter the information into TurboTax exactly as it appears on the RRB-1099-R. If a box on the RRB-1099-R is blank, leave it blank in TurboTax; don't enter zero. After you enter the RRB-1099-R TurboTax will ask you a series of questions. Read the questions carefully and be sure to answer them accurately.

deannkarl

I see that this response indicates 2016.  I am preparing my 2019 return and do not find the input for the RRB-1099-R when I follow this direction.  I only find the RRB-1099 input.  Where is the input for the RRB-1099-R?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The Form RRB-1099-R is entered in the Form 1099-R section of your return.  

Use the following steps:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and open or continue your return.
  2. Search for rrb-1099-r (lower-case, with the dashes) and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Your 1099-R screen, select Yes and Continue.
    • If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, click Add Another 1099-R and Continue.
  4. On the Tell us how you want to enter your 1099-R info screen, choose how you want to enter your information. If you don't have a PDF, choose I don't have a PDF and select Continue.
  5. On the Select another method to enter your 1099-R info screen, select I'll type it in myself.
  6. On the Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have screen, select the RRB-1099-R option (verify the information) and Continue.
  7. Follow the instructions to enter your RRB-1099-R information.

@deannkarl

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cycarr

I have already filed my taxes, I got a 1099-r form late , will this cause me problems if this form is not summited? 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Since you have already filed, you have two options:

1. Wait until the return has been processed (refund received or payment cleared), and then file an amended return to report the Form 1099-R or;

2. Wait until the IRS contacts you about the missing 1099-R, and pay the tax they propose in the notice they send. If the 1099-R is simple (e.g. doesn't involve an early distribution or have any other complicated characteristics), the IRS will propose an increase in your taxes and give you a payment coupon to use if you agree. This would be an automated notice and is very common, since many people either forget to report 1099-R income or never receive the form from the Payer.

Amending the return is the preferred course of action.

See How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

Railman

The answer below deals with 2019 and I am working on 2020, our first year receiving RR Retirement benefits.  The boxes referenced in the T-tax table for RRB-1099-R do not match the boxes on our actual forms.  For instance, among other issues, T-Tax asks for Box 5 (Total Net Benefits) from the form but the form has Vested Dual Benefit for Box 5 and that is blank.  It looks like T-Tax actually wants Box 7, which is labeled "Total Gross Paid" on the form received.  I've been using T-Tax for many years and never had this problem before.  Thanks for help.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

You may be in the wrong screens.  The RRB-1099 should be blue and the RRB-1099R should be green.  The Blue copy is entered in the same screens as Social Security.  The RRB-1099R is entered with the IRA, 401K, Pension Plan section directly above the RRB-1099 section of TurboTax.  You will want to select "Change how I enter my form" then "Type it myself".  On the next screen select "RRB1099R" to enter the retirement part of your pension.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies