turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knmcnul

What are the steps to re-characterize a Roth to tradition IRA contribution in Turbotax?

Your response did not answer my question.   I did not do any conversions in 2018.   My financial planner says I need to convert some of my Roth constitutions to traditional IRA.  To determine the amount, I need to re-characterize.  Are you saying I can't do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

What are the steps to re-characterize a Roth to tradition IRA contribution in Turbotax?

The tax reform bill of 2017 has eliminated the ability to recharacterize a Roth IRA conversion done in 2018 and onward. However, you can still recharacterize your 2017 Roth IRA conversions up until October 15, 2018. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

The tax reform bill of 2017 has eliminated the ability to recharacterize a Roth IRA conversion done in 2018 and onward. However, you can still recharacterize your 2017 Roth IRA conversions up until October 15, 2018. 

knmcnul

Unsatisfactory answer to my question.  I did not convert to a Roth in 2018.  I need to convert Roth to traditional.  Answer is opposite of what I asked.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies