turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We earned too much to qualify for Roth IRA this year, and withdrew excess. TT is asking How Much Excess to Credit To 2021 Roth Contribution - I'm not sure what to answer?

We made too much to qualify for Roth IRAs, and we've already removed the excess income   earnings from the IRA. TurboTax asks Excess Roth IRA Contributions for Prior Years (I do not have any other than 2021 tax year), and after inputting the amount it asks How Much Excess to 2021? Indicate how much remaining excess contribution of $2,250 you want to credit toward 2021 Roth IRA contributions.

I am unsure what exactly to put here, do I just put prior year as $0 because I've withdrawn it all and skip the How Much Excess to 2021 question?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

We earned too much to qualify for Roth IRA this year, and withdrew excess. TT is asking How Much Excess to Credit To 2021 Roth Contribution - I'm not sure what to answer?

The question in TurboTax that says Any Excess Contributions Before 2021? means that you would have made an excess contribution in 2020 or years before that. Since your only excess contribution was made in 2021, you would say No to that question. Once you do that, you should not get another question regarding your excess contribution from prior years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The question in TurboTax that says Any Excess Contributions Before 2021? means that you would have made an excess contribution in 2020 or years before that. Since your only excess contribution was made in 2021, you would say No to that question. Once you do that, you should not get another question regarding your excess contribution from prior years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This worked, thank you so much! 😁

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies