Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

veraatw

W2 line 10 dependent care benefits, why taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

34 Replies
LeeM

Box 10 is for the dependent care FSA contributions for the year. Unless you have childcare expenses during the year that qualify to offset the amount, then it becomes taxable income.

If you used the money to pay for Dependent Care Benefits, then during the W-2 interview process, on the pages that follow entering the actual boxes, you need to answer "Yes" to used money to pay for dependent care expenses.

Then, you will need to go through the Dependent Care section under Deductions and Credits. When it asks again if you used the money for dependent care for the year, you answer "Yes".

I did all of that.  It didn't work.  The amount reported in box 10 of W2 is still being added back to taxable income.

I have the same problem. I added all dependent care provider expenses correctly...total nearly $25K this year. When I add W2 Box 10 Dependent Care Benefits value of $5,000 (aka, the maximum allowed for Dependent Care Flexible Savings Account), this increases my tax bill by $1,000. This should be a nontaxable benefit--why is my tax bill increasing when this value is added?
mjean07

same problem and question
efenton28

Same problem here as well...  I have had a FSA for dependent care for over 4 years.  I have never had this problem come up until this year.  The whole reason why I have a FSA is so that these funds are not taxed.  As soon as I put in the amount from box 10 my tax bill shoots way up.  Even after I put the information in about my dependent care expenses nothing really changes.  I get a very small tax credit, but I am still owing in a large amount which has never happened.  I feel something is wrong.  I am getting hit with an extra $700 in taxes here... what is the deal with this??

Same thing is happening to me. Dependent care benefits being added back to income
paynejm

Same here...
cheriec1

Same here!
dayni

Same here!!! is there an income limitation?  I just got divorced so now I am triggering the incoming limitations with only 1 adult.
kcwealthy

Same issue. Problem appears to be occurring because we don't qualify for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, but we aren't trying to take that credit. We are only trying to enter provider information to prove we used the W2 Box 10 dependent care benefit on qualified dependent care expenses. Wonder how many people are losing thousands to Uncle Sam due to this error on Turbotax's par. (Yes, my wife and I both work, so we should not be taxed on the dependent care benefit spend on qualified dependent care expenses).

make sure the W2s are associated to the right person
Dsaund

same here!!!
jenlarcar

I thought the same was happening to me, but I think I figured it out. Before entering the box 10 information the full $6000 is considered for the dependent care credit. Once the $5000 (or whatever amount you have) from box 10 is entered into Turbo Tax, this takes away from the amount that is eligible for the dependent care credit (because it was taken as a pretax credit during the year) and lessens the overall tax return. Hope this helps.
Dave5550
Returning Member

This is completely unclear and something TurboTax need to address and explain immediately.  I'm not sure whether to amend my return or not.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies