Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

esmietana
Returning Member

US Border Patrol, law enforcement retirement

My husband retired in 2015 from US border patrol at 55 yrs of age, mandatory retirement is 57 yrs old. He receives a pension. This year turbo tax is asking if he took his pension out  before 591/2 yrs of age. I don't see other options and now  they are  asking what he did with the money or if he inherit the pension. I don't understand this and i have neve had issues before. 

Can someone explain this please.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SamS1
Expert Alumni

US Border Patrol, law enforcement retirement

Is the code in box 7 a 2?  There is an exception to the 10% penalty if the employee separates from service during or after the year the employee reaches age 55 (age 50 for public safety employees of a state, or political subdivision of a state, in a governmental defined benefit plan).  The definition of Public Service officer recently expanded to include specified federal law enforcement officers, customs and border protection officers, federal firefighters and air traffic controllers.  

In TurboTax, there is a section to indicate you are not subject to the penalty.  This is after you have entered all your 1099R information and continue through.  Make sure you indicate benefits are from a qualified plan.  Enter the amount form box 2a on the line for separation of service at 55.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies