Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Under Personal Credit for Retirement Savings Contributions, do I need to enter the amount from 1099-R 2a, even if it was converted immediately to Roth IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Under Personal Credit for Retirement Savings Contributions, do I need to enter the amount from 1099-R 2a, even if it was converted immediately to Roth IRA?

yes. You enter the 1099-R exactly as printed. Note that contributions to a ROTH are taxable income. So if you converted from a traditional retirement account to a ROTH, then entire amount converted is taxable in the tax year of conversion. If you're under the Deductions & Credits tab for the contributions credit, you don't enter anything there. Just "work it through" and if you qualify for a credit, the program will know. I'm not sure, but I don't think there is any credit for a conversion. Only for actual contributions during the tax year.

I'm in a similar situation. If I entered the 1099-R already do I then say "No" to the question "Did XXX have any distributions from a retirement plan after 2016 and before the due date of your 2019 return?" under the "Credit for Retirement Savings Contributions" section? It sounds like that's what you are saying but I want to be sure.

Thank you!

dmertz
Level 15

Carl's answer is incorrect [where Carl says "yes."].   The amounts of any Roth conversions are not to be included when in the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit section TurboTax asks you to enter the amount of any distributions.

I thought Carl essentially said the same thing. Or am I missing something? He said:

"If you're under the Deductions & Credits tab for the contributions credit, you don't enter anything there."

dmertz
Level 15

I was taking issue with "yes," the first word in Carl's answer, since the question is asking about the TurboTax's Retirement Savings Contributions Credit section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies