turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Under CARES ACT my employer allows me to withdraw up to $100,000.00 without the 10% penalty. Can you avoid federal tax if you put it back in 3 years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Under CARES ACT my employer allows me to withdraw up to $100,000.00 without the 10% penalty. Can you avoid federal tax if you put it back in 3 years?

To ease the tax burden, under the Cares Act you have up to three years to pay taxes on the withdrawal. You can repay all or a portion of the distribution within three years, and the repayments will not be counted toward the annual contribution limits.

dmertz
Level 15

The options are to include the income from the Coronavirus-Related Distribution all in 2020 or evenly over 2020, 2021 and 2022.  Depending on when and how much you repay, making repayments may result in you having to amend your 2020, 2021 or 2022 tax returns to obtain refunds of some portion of taxes paid for those years.

So, to get some cash out of my 401k, I have to catch the virus. Wonderful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies