turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The TurboTax app said I qualified for a Social Security Refund, but after pinging both the IRS and my employers, it seems like this is a mistake on TurboTaxes end.

I received two different W-2 forms and am under the $7,960.80 withholding.

Why is TurboTax trying to claim a $6,125 refund for excess Social Security withheld?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

The TurboTax app said I qualified for a Social Security Refund, but after pinging both the IRS and my employers, it seems like this is a mistake on TurboTaxes end.

Did you file a Joint return?
Anonymous
Not applicable

No

A $6000 refund is not the rounding error I was talking about, it is most likely you entered one of your W-2s incorrectly.  Double check them or delete the W-2s and start over.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if everything is correct?
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an amount in box 12a on my W-2. Would that affect it?

Yes.  What Code is in box 12a?  You might have picked the wrong code.  Don't confuse the "a" with the Code.  That is just part of the box 12 label.  There should be a separate capital letter code like D.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, this was the issue. Thank you!

Turbotax seems very sensitive to rounding issues this year.  Suppose your social security from job A is $2000.51, rounded up to $2001, and your second job is $3000.51, rounded up to $3001.  That makes your total social security $5002, when it should be $5001.  This seems to trigger an error this year.  Try dropping your box 4 number on one or both W-2s by a few cents so it rounds down instead of up.  It won't affect your income taxes and the IRS is unlikely to care about a $1 difference.

Also, as mentioned, make sure that each W-2 you enter is assigned to the correct spouse, if you are married.  You can get a false "excess SS" message if your W-2s are assigned to the wrong person, making one person look like their SS was over, instead of two people with SS under the limit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies